As we all know, environmental factors such as moisture can corrode metallic objects such as guns. Once a gun or any other firearm has rust, its entire structural integrity will have been compromised. A safe will not be able to shield your gun from pervasive humidity all by itself, hence the need to purchase a gun safe dehumidifier as it maintains the quality of both the gun and safe.
What is gun safe dehumidifiers?
A gun safe dehumidifier is used to remove moisture from the safe that you keep your gun. There are two types of safe gun dehumidifiers: electric dehumidifier and desiccant dehumidifier. The latter is a chemical that acts like a sponge as it sucks moisture from the safe while the former uses electricity to dehumidify the safe.
Write briefly about how long do gun safe dehumidifiers last
- It all depends on the type and the brand of the dehumidifier you settled on.
- If you purchased the electric dehumidifier then most of them are used for a period of one month before you recharge them while the desiccant dehumidifier needs to be replaced after a month’s usage.
- The disposable desiccant dehumidifier can’t be used, and within a day it needs to be replaced.
- There are some dehumidifiers which can last up to 10 years provided you recharge once you realize it has changed its colour.
- Some can go up to 8 weeks before they need a recharge.
- Some experts have mentioned that a dehumidifier will last as long as its warranty. Hence if it has a warranty of 5 years, then there is a high probability that it will last that long before it needs a replacement.
Frequently asked questions
- Do gun safe dehumidifiers work?
Yes, safe gun dehumidifiers do work, and some of the work by the principle of allowing warm air to circulate in the safe, therefore removing any form of condensation or humidity.
- What is the best dehumidifier for a gun safe?
The lockdown silica gel can is the best desiccant dehumidifier as it is easy to use and can be used to dehumidify any gun safe regardless of its size. It also notifies you if all the moisture has been cleared by changing its colour.
- Where do you put a dehumidifier in a gun safe?
It all depends on the owner as there are holes located at the bottom that allows for the passage of the wire. However, the best place to put it is at the bottom of the safe, where the safe will be dehumidified efficiently. Although you can put it either at the front side or deep inside.
- What can you put in a gun safe to keep moisture out?
The various ways of keeping moisture out of a gun safe beside the use of a safe gun dehumidifier are using a bulb, putting either a cup or two of rice in the safe and use of baking soda
- Should you store ammo in a gun safe
Yes, you should store ammunition in a gun safe uncovered to remove moisture which, when present, can cause the ammo’s deterioration.
- Can I put a gun safe in an unheated garage?
A gun safe should not be put in a garage as many garages have fuels and inflammable chemicals that would cause a fire. However in some cases, one can put a gun safe in an unheated garage provided there are dehumidifiers to keep moisture out
- Should I put a dehumidifier in my gun safe?
Before putting a dehumidifier in your gun safe, you need to check if you are near a humid place, whether or not use the gun frequently and whether or not you have a fire safe. If you live near a place of humidity, you need to purchase a dehumidifier. If you use the gun frequently, you don’t need a dehumidifier.
- Is it safe to leave dehumidifier on all the time?
It is indeed safe to leave dehumidifiers on all the time.
- Can a gun safe be too dry
A gun safe can be too dry, but the good thing is that this isn’t detrimental to the gun and the safe.
Any gun owner is qualified for purchasing a gun safe dehumidifier as it protects their investment from moisture and humidity-caused damage. Since it isn’t advisable to leave your gun in an open space where there is free air circulation that would drive away from the humidity, it is, therefore, essential to purchase a dehumidifier. Before you settle on one particular dehumidifier, you should check how long it would last before you replace it.
This post has originally been featured in Residence Style.