A property company and its director will have to shell out £10,000 after a blaze left six tenants homeless in the middle of lockdown.
Barnet council discovered the property was an unlicenced HMO after being called to the scene by the London Fire Brigade.
The tenants were lucky to escape without injury and council staff helped them find emergency accommodation, later identifying numerous breaches of the minimum safety standards for HMOs.
An investigation by the council found that the property had no fire doors or fire extinguishers, and an inadequate fire alarm.
A council spokesperson says: “Six lives were put at risk because of the negligence of one man and his property company. This is unacceptable.
“We will pursue and take action against all landlords who breach property law to the detriment of their tenants. HMOs must be licensed, to help ensure that safety standards are met at all times – if they are not, you can expect a hefty fine when we take you to court.”
Keylid Property Limited and its director Ali Reza Mirzaie pleaded guilty to failing to licence the Hall Lane house, and for failing to meet minimum standards of management.
They were each ordered to pay a £2,500 fine, £181 victim surcharge and £2,411.45 costs after being prosecuted by Barnet council.
This post has originally been featured in Letting Agent Today.